Friday, November 16, 2012

[RubyHornet Interview] Record Producer: Chase N Dough



Chase N Dough may still be a new name for some of our readers, but I guarantee you’ve heard this man’s production from his work with King Louie, LEP Bogus Boys, Lil’ Durk, Naledge & many more of Chicago’s established and rising emcees. It’s evident from my first contact with Chase N Dough via email, how seriously he takes his craft.  From production  to rapping, he also edits videos and does graphic design, avidly showcasing his dedication to the art of Hip Hop. When asked about his sound that has helped define the “Drill” movement, Chase stated, “I’m trying to steer away from the drill music just to show my versatility… People come to me for the dirty south beats because that’s what’s popular right now. I wanna work with more R & B artists.”
One characteristic that is vital to the success of an artist is self-awareness.  It is that kind of awareness that allows someone to recognize changes around them and have the ability to accept growth as a musician. This is what Chase N Dough practices and it’s no surprise he sees his future self as an established producer with top 100 Billboard songs under his belt. Now with his iPack 1.5 compilation mixtape ready to be released (any moment now), Chase N Dough is ready for the next step in his musical career. Read on in our latest Record Producers Interview to hear about how he first started producing, linking with King Louie, & the everyday elements of life that inspires his music.


RubyHornet: Where in Chicago are you from?
Chase N Dough: I’m from the South-side. I went to High School in Calumet City.
RubyHornet: Equipment?
Chase N Dough: Just a laptop. No keyboard, no drumpad. Just a laptop with Fruity Loops and plugins.
RubyHornet: When did you know it was your passion to create music and become a producer?
Chase N Dough: Music didn’t become a passion to me until I started getting recognition off of it. That was about the year of 2006. Everybody I knew was telling me like, ‘Yo you should really take music serious.’ So I did.
RubyHornet: At that point did you have a lane that you saw yourself filling. Or did you find that after doing some work?
Chase N Dough: I knew instantly what lane I wanted to fill as a producer & artist. I learned from studying people in the music industry.
RubyHornet: What do you think the catalyst was for this current nationwide popular drill scene? Production is definitely a reason for it’s popularity and cohesion as a movement. What about Chicago influences your sound?
Chase N Dough: I think it comes from the struggle and our environment. Just day to day life. I like the originality. Nobody has a sound like ours. Sometimes you may have a conscious rapper who grew up the same way. I’ll throw a soul sample together and put some gritty drums in it to signify our sound right now. I don’t always do it though. Pacman (RIP) started the drill music. Shout out to Fatzmack. It’s like Texas with their screw music. We have DRILL. It’s not just gangsta rap. Drill is used like a verb here. Could be used as a lot of things. Producers create the vision and the artist(s) helps.
RubyHornet: How did you link with King Louie for the first time? You’ll seem to have great chemistry.
Chase N Dough: I was on the phone conversing with my big bro Young Diesel one day, and I was just telling him who I wanted to work with, I told him a few. One of them was Louie and he was like ‘me and King shooting to the studio this weekend you should come through.’ I was all for it. Me and my lil homie J Hill collabed on a beat and he got it to Louie. So once he found out I was the same person in the studio, I played a few joints for him. He was feeling them. He told me that he was working on a project called Dope & Shrimp and he wanted me to be apart of it. He wanted to make a remix to his song “Goldie with the Pimpin” and we did it. I played like 10 and out of that 10 he liked about 7. He picked out “He’s On Fire” and the rest was history. I’ve had production on every project he has dropped since I linked up with him. A lot of people like our combination of style.
RubyHornet: Can You speak on your affiliation with AAMG?
Chase N Dough: AAMG is a production company started by Lokey, which contains 4 producers including myself. Lokey, Deezy Beatz. Pressure & Myself. It stands for Above Average Music Group. It’s crazy how I came up as a producer admiring Lokey and King Louie’s music. I damn near wanted to be Lokey…  That’s how much I liked the music. I’m like, everybody in the streets was rapping on his beats! All I heard was “LOKEYYYY.” I knew since then I wanted to build my brand the same way. He is a pioneer in Chicago. Him and Chase Davis. They brought that Dirty South style of music here. And for them to give me props saying my beats are dope, just makes me go harder.
RubyHornet: What emcee from Chicago do you see with the best package to succeed nationally/internationally?
Chase N Dough: It’s a couple. Honestly, I think Spenzo, Young Giftz, Thello Jay, CML, Tink, Blanco Caine, Kembe X, & Chance The Rapper. It’s a couple. Those I know off the top of my head. If they all stay consistent, hungry and make good music they will get there.
RubyHornet: What can listeners expect on the upcoming iPack 1.5 project?
Chase N Dough: All tracks are produced by me. The project is hosted by DJ Amaris & DJ Hustlenomics. It features artists such as King L (Louie), Eldorado Red, LEP Bogus Boys, Young Giftz & many more,… it’s a lot of tracks on it. Mainly, I’m giving artists that’s over looked a chance to shine with the artists who’s buzzing so that they might get noticed.
RubyHornet: Where do you see yourself in 3 years…. 2015?
Chase N Dough: I see myself well established with my music career. At LEAST 2 records I produced on Billboards Top 100.
RubyHornet: Any more upcoming projects in the near future?
Chase N Dough: Yeah, I have a couple artist I’m working with that I’m trying to develop. Their names are CML (Call Me L’s), Mally, Dutchy Boucher & Ramos Da Gov, a couple artists from Leek-E-Leek’s camp, 2greedy. Me and Hustlenomics are always working on projects. I got more production coming with Blanco Caine, Chet Chet, M.I.C. & many more.



RubyHornet: What inspires you to create?
Chase N Dough: My daughter, my family, supporters, the struggle and good music in general. I want to be able to say I put my mind to something and accomplished it!
RubyHornet: Some producers look at you with inspiration and think you made it. How do you feel about that?
Chase N Dough: I appreciate all the love and support I get from each and every person. They see the tracks that I have with the “buzzing” artists and think I’m “ON.” They don’t know as producers you really have to work for that. It’s not as easy as 123 to get where I’m at. It took hard work and dedication. Man hours. I show love to all the rising producers. I never try to step on anyone’s toes. I remain humble because I’m blessed to be in the position I’m in. I love working with new talent. Nobody helped me when I first started off. One of my homie’s had the full version of fruity loops and ain’t wanna share it. I was making magic with the demo. He knew I would get better than him. I moved to the suburbs and met G – Knox and he hooked me up.
RubyHornet: Who is the little girl on your voice tag?
Chase N Dough: It’s my bro’s ex-girlfriend’ daughter. [Laughs] I hope I didn’t sound ghetto like “My auntie sister baby cousin brothers daughter Tracy.”
RubyHornet: Where did you get your name from? People always bring up Chase N Cashe.
Chase N Dough: I got my name from myself. J Hill sent me a open verse for me to rap on while I was mad at my babymama’s. I was like ‘Tell That B*%@# I’m Chase N Dough,’ like “chasing dough.” I wanted people to think I was two people. Kinda how people thought Travis Porter was one person. I thought I’d be dope so I ran with it. Everybody loved my voice tag.
RubyHornet: Just to wrap it up what are some studio essentials?
Chase N Dough: I need snacks at all times. Regular food of course. A nice environment with great energy, a good pair of headphones and studio monitors. Really, I can work with almost anything. It’s all about your creativity.
RubyHornet: Best time to create?
Chase N Dough: When I’m alone and around some studio monitors. I work a lot under stress sometimes. I be feeling like I have something to prove to my doubters.

No comments:

Post a Comment